• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former boss sabotaging new opportunities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

skalla

About 3 years I resigned a position I held with a company, after I submitted my resignation, my supervisor insulted me and I did not honor my two weeks notice. Since that time, I had suspicions that this supervisor has tried to blacklist me or sabotage my career or new opportunities. I took a new job which starts next week. Today while talking with my new supervisor, he disclosed to me that my former supervisor from 3 years ago contacted him, and said he fired me, and also said I was fired from my most current job, which of course is untrue. Now, my new employer doesn't give this information much credit, and I still have my new job. However, is this legal for my former supervisor to do? The information he is passing around about me is untrue. Also is it possible to get a copy of employment records from a company you no longer work for? More importantly, do I have a case? I live in Colorado. Any help here would be appreciated.

Sean

D

D. D. Lessenberry

lying former boss

To the best of my knowledge (I am not an attorney), a"Human Resources" can only give dates of employment to new employers, fearing lawsuits.

Your boss is "Human Resources," it seems to me.

I do not know if you have a case.

I would first go to the blue pages of your local telephone book and look up relevant state employment regulatory agencies; then telephone and see if they can help.

If these are lies, then the tort would be slander.

Good luck,

D. D.

A

Always searching

From my experience this is what you do but it will cost you some money. You get what you pay for. Go to an employment attorney and have he or she write a letter to your former boss stating what laws would directly affect him should he in the future say any more about you except your name and dates of employment. Then have the attorney test him and different intervals. When he screws up, to court you go and then and only then he will discover that an unruly tongue will cause himself pain and court costs. It is not about the money at all-it is about power and how you will squash his bad mouthing. Victory is delicious.

A

alalaw

Always searching's advice was very good advice. However, you can also have a friend call him and ask for a reference. If he says the same thing to the friend, you have him - especially if your friend tapes the conversation. I would definately speak to an attorney about this. Good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">