• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codasdad

What is the name of your state? Ohio. My 14 yr old nephew just called my mother, screaming & crying asking her to come & get him, that he can't live in the house (with his parents) anymore & has to get out. Begging her to go get him. My sister gets on the phone & says "We didn't do anything Mom." Come to find out my nephew walked in on his parents & a 20 year old girl that is living w/them in bed together. He says having sex. She says nothing. He is tramautized & wants out. NOW!! There is also a 20 yr old brother living there - they are twins (the boy & girl) - no one understands where they came from - just some old family friends??? There are 2 other children at home - 5 & 7. It is midnight & they are still not in bed because of all the ruckus. I have advised my mother to call the sheriff & go get the 14 yr old (at least for the night). He swears up & down he doesn't want to go back. Any advice as to what steps should be taken here? Police?? Children's services??? School counseling??? HELP???

CdwJava

It's not likely a criminal act so long as all the parties involved in the sexual activity are consenting adults and they are not openly performing in front of the children. It might be something CPS would be interested in, but that is not a guarantee.

If family wants to go and get any of the children, they had best do so with the knowledge and okay of the parents or there could be some legal issues for the other family.

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At 14, your nephew doesn't know how to knock on doors or not walk into people's bedrooms? :eek:

moburkes

Agree with both posters. It may not be something that you or I would do (and I'm not saying what I would do :D), but it wasn't illegal.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Aren't children supposed to be in bed at midnight? If the door was closed, sorry, but parents have a right to privacy. Whether we approve or not is not our call, but it's not illegal.

codasdad

Actually, this happened in the afternoon - around 3 pm. And he didn't walk into the room, he and the other 2 children ages 5 & 7 were told to be outside & they have a deck & door connected to the parents bedroom. I realize there is probably nothing CPS would do because they were not endangering or abusing the children. I just worry that this boy is so upset that he might run away. He mentioned that. Anyway - he did go to school today & is going to speak w/a counselor there I guess. Thanks for your input.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And he didn't walk into the room, he and the other 2 children ages 5 & 7 were told to be outside & they have a deck & door connected to the parents bedroom.
This still doesn't explain how he "walked in on them". That infers they were in a room and he, literally, walked in on them. Again - he doesn't know how to knock at 14?

I just worry that this boy is so upset that he might run away. He mentioned that. Anyway - he did go to school today & is going to speak w/a counselor there I guess. Thanks for your input.
Well, yeah. Teens do that fairly often. That doesn't give legal strangers the right to take the kids away from their parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">