• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Theft Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lndsl5

What is the name of your state? NH

So my car was stolen over a month ago. I reported it the next day. It was found a couple days later smashed up on the side of a road. I filled out all the requested paperwork. I spoke with an adjuster who took a recorded statement. Then, met with an investigator who also took a recorded statement. They asked for all kinds of documents.
At this point, I hired a lawyer to make sure the documents they were asking for were legit....tax returns, credit card bills, atm bills, a release for a credit report.... which I provided. All are in good standing. This was two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything since. One delay was they were waiting for the credit report. Next its was that I may need to make a statement under oath. Now, no response....
It was i high line vehicle with a value around $50k, so I can understand why they are investigating. Also, a spare set of keys were left in the car which can make it look suspicious.
Now its been over a month, with no end in sight. What can I so to get them to settle my claim? Did my hiring of a lawyer drag out the process?

moburkes

There is nothing that you CAN do. They are entitled to investigate. Where were the spare keys, that they were used to steal your vehicle? Are you behind on your loan?

lndsl5

The keys were in the glove box. I know...real smart.

I wasn't behind on any loans. I'm in great financial shape. Never missed a payment...ever, on anything. No debt other than the car and a mortgage($200k in equity). Credit score over 700. $100k plus in investments.

Is all this normal? What would they have to have in order to actually deny the claim?

moburkes

The keys were in the glove box. I know...real smart.

I wasn't behind on any loans. I'm in great financial shape. Never missed a payment...ever, on anything. No debt other than the car and a mortgage($200k in equity). Credit score over 700. $100k plus in investments.

Is all this normal? What would they have to have in order to actually deny the claim?
I don't know all the details, but since the vehicle has been recovered, and everything would could back clean, have your lawyer write a demand for an update. The claim should be closed shortly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">