• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays for denting parked car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hanmeng

What is the name of your state? IL
Somebody bumped into my parked car and dented the fender. Originally she said she'd pay out of pocket, but now is contacting her insurance company. My car is over 20 yrs. old so I don't have collision insurance. Does her company pay?What is the name of your state?

HomeGuru

Somebody bumped into my parked car and dented the fender. Originally she said she'd pay out of pocket, but now is contacting her insurance company. My car is over 20 yrs. old so I don't have collision insurance. Does her company pay?What is the name of your state?
**A: it really depends upon what kind of insurance she has, her deductible and wh ether or not her insurance company will accept such claim. She is playing you. Did you talk to her insurance agent?

moburkes

HG doesn't know what he's talking about. If she dented your vehicle, then her liability insurance, which has no deductible, will pay for the damage. Do you know the name/phone # for her insurance company?

FlyingRon

**A: it really depends upon what kind of insurance she has, her deductible and wh ether or not her insurance company will accept such claim. She is playing you. Did you talk to her insurance agent?
Her deductible is immaterial when it comes to the liability for damage she causes to other vehicles. What kind of insurance shouldn't much matter as a parking lot dent is sure to be within the required minimum liability limits whether she is privately insured or in the ILAIP.

enjay

Out of curiosity, this is a 20 year old car. If the cost of dent repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, couldn't the other party's insurance total the car and pay her only the value of it?

ecmst12

The insurance company can always do that if the cost to repair exceeds the value. But if it's just a small dent, even on a 20 year old car, it's probably not a total loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">