• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summer home owned by elder parent and three cousins

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elsie born

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Mother 85 and slipping fast. Probably not good to sign her share of the family property over to us three kids now as there is a 5-year look-back policy in this state.

How does this work, then? The property in question is a non-winterized bungalow in Suffolk County New York, and originally belonged to my grandparents, then their 3 kids (my father and two aunts), and eventually the apportioning has continued as that generation passed, so that my mother has my deceased father's portion, and 3 cousins have the other portions. (total appraised value of something in the $250,000 range)

How do we keep it in the family ? Do we now have to BUY her portion from her. She is living with my sister for the past year and has no primary residence of her own. We don't want to put her in danger of not being eligible for medicaid should it come to that and she goes through everything else she has.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Mother 85 and slipping fast. Probably not good to sign her share of the family property over to us three kids now as there is a 5-year look-back policy in this state.
It's a five year look back in every state now. Buy her share to keep it in the family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">