• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can home owners FILE EXEMPT?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrdby

oops... income taxes. I hear if you make under 50k a year..you can actually file exempt on taxes.

tranquility

No, you're wrong. It is the Easter Bunny who is exempt, not the people for who the Easter Bunny prepares their taxes. The exceptions you referred to were removed many years ago. The only one which I recall that remains is the "I forgot to pay my taxes." exception. If the IRS comes calling, just tell them you forgot this year and that you'll catch them next time around.

justalayman

oops... income taxes. I hear if you make under 50k a year..you can actually file exempt on taxes.

If you file exempt on your w4 and are not, you will be liable for not only the taxes you do owe but fines and penalties for not paying taxes on a timely basis.

You might want to get a new battery in your hearing aid (so as to hear things correctly) or quit listening to the person that is going to cost you hundreds of dollars in penalties and fines.

Mrdby

If you file exempt on your w4 and are not, you will be liable for not only the taxes you do owe but fines and penalties for not paying taxes on a timely basis.

You might want to get a new battery in your hearing aid (so as to hear things correctly) or quit listening to the person that is going to cost you hundreds of dollars in penalties and fines.
Thanks for a decent response.

irsos

Of course the good news for you is, if they do ever exempt the first $50,000 of income from taxation, you will have a lifetime exemption from taxes, with plenty to spare.

JustAPal00

Here's the info from the IRS web site:

You can claim exemption from withholding for the current tax year only if both the following situations apply:

1. For the prior tax year, you had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you had no tax liability, and
2. For the current tax year, you expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because you expect to have no tax liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">