• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

small injuries from accident 2 years ago(almost)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ellobosolitario

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

I was involved in an accident 1 year, 11 months ago... (give or take a couple days) in which I was found at fault for. There were three cars involved, mine, causing the accident, and two others coming the opposing way.

Now, about a week ago, I get a call from my insurance company (at the time) that one of the other drivers is claiming personal injury. We went over the details, she was asking what happened and what not, but this brings me to my point...

The night of the accident he was taken to the emergency room, but released a few hours later that night. That is all he is claiming, but his attorney is demanding $15,000, the maximum my coverage at the time will allow. On the phone, the woman said that I should not worry, he will probably get very little if that, but if he really wanted to sue me personally he still could. Today when I got home from school I learned my mother had a visit from the sheriff with a paper saying the "injured" person is taking me to court.

Is this summons to court for him suing me personally, or for him trying to get money from the insurance company? I'm a poor college student with only a few dollars in the bank and a car worth less than the CD player installed in it. Basically I am worthless monetarily. If he is suing me personally, does how much I am worth play into how much he will get?

The sheriff told my mother that more information will come in a couple days, so maybe I am worrying too much, but I have very little knowledge in this area. Thanks for your help, and if you need any explanation on anything just say.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Turn the papers over to your (then) insurance carrier.

You would always be the one to be sued - not your insurance company. Your insurance company has the contractual obligation to defend you.

Ellobosolitario

OK, that does make sense.

How does this usually work out then? Will the insurance will provide a defense, or will I still have to go and get a lawyer?

Sorry for the mindless questions, I know they can be frustrating to answer

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OK, that does make sense.

How does this usually work out then? Will the insurance will provide a defense, or will I still have to go and get a lawyer?

Sorry for the mindless questions, I know they can be frustrating to answer
Your insurance company has the contractual obligation to defend you.

ecmst12

If they are suing for more than your policy limits, and you can afford your own attorney, it won't hurt. If they're only trying to get the $15k, your insurance company will defend you up to your policy limits.

moburkes

Now is a good time to increase your liability limits. You had the state minimum coverage, which, while it allows you to drive legally, it doesn't protect your assets or your paycheck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">