• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Thought Taxes Were Being Taken Out...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melissa1277

What is the name of your state? Great state of Illinois

I know I am a fool, so please don't send me messages telling me what I already know!! :)

I have been working for this company since May of this year.

I get $12hr... which would come out to be about $450 for a 38hr work week. On Mondays, when I get paid, I get paid $390 in CASH. Here I have been thinking, because I get paid $390, it is because it has the taxes taken out. Well, well, well... I am wrong!!

I have been needing documentation for proof of employement/income because I have been trying to get a scholarship for child care assistance so that I can go back to school. I am a single Mom of 3 young boys and haven't been in the workforce in 10 years!!!

It took my boss 2WEEKS to fill out these papers that I needed from him to verify my income!!! Then he calls me up to day and asks why they need his SSN.. Immediately, red flags went up!!

He then proceeds to tell me that because I am his only employee (its a small shop) that he doesn't have to do taxes!! THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!

So, if any of you have any suggestions on what I should do, I would love to hear them!!!

Thank you so much!!

LdiJ

Well, the first thing that you need to do is to find another job, since he has been dishonest enough to withhold money from your pay, with no intention of providing you proper documentation for taxes.

Then you fill out for SS-8 and submit it to the IRS, which will get an investigation going, and you also report him to your state labor relations board.

melissa1277

I know he is SUPPOSED to do the taxes!!

However, I am not even getting my hourly rate that I should be... that is why I thought the taxes were being taken out!!!

Should get about $450 BEFORE taxes.. but I have been getting $390 in cash (thinking supposably) AFTER taxes... So, technically, I am getting cheated here!!!

But, now.. I will have to pay the taxes that I thought he was taking out???? CAN I GET HIM FOR THAT?? MAKE HIM PAY THEM?? HOW DO I DO THAT??

This is such a mess!! Who should I contact??

seniorjudge

I know he is SUPPOSED to do the taxes!!

However, I am not even getting my hourly rate that I should be... that is why I thought the taxes were being taken out!!!

Should get about $450 BEFORE taxes.. but I have been getting $390 in cash (thinking supposably) AFTER taxes... So, technically, I am getting cheated here!!!

But, now.. I will have to pay the taxes that I thought he was taking out???? CAN I GET HIM FOR THAT?? MAKE HIM PAY THEM?? HOW DO I DO THAT??

This is such a mess!! Who should I contact??
Answer below. In fact, answer above also.

Well, the first thing that you need to do is to find another job, since he has been dishonest enough to withhold money from your pay, with no intention of providing you proper documentation for taxes.

Then you fill out for SS-8 and submit it to the IRS, which will get an investigation going, and you also report him to your state labor relations board.

TinkerBelleLuvr

$12 for 38 hours is $456.00
Social Security tax = $28.27
Medicare = $6.61
Federal Withhold, based on you receiving $390 = $31.12

IF you do not receive a W-2 at the end of the year, you can use these imputed number to calculate your income & federal taxes withheld.

By all means, send in the SS-8 if he cannot give you a detailed list of income & deductions.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The employees portion of social security taxes is 6.2% (.062); medicare is .0145% (.0145).

I took your gross, subtracted out the taxes, subtracted out what you receive in cash - balance has to be federal withholding.

LdiJ

$12 for 38 hours is $456.00
Social Security tax = $28.27
Medicare = $6.61
Federal Withhold, based on you receiving $390 = $31.12

IF you do not receive a W-2 at the end of the year, you can use these imputed number to calculate your income & federal taxes withheld.

By all means, send in the SS-8 if he cannot give you a detailed list of income & deductions.
She will need to fill out the SS-8 no matter what, since he is not providing her check stubs. She won't be able to do a substitute W2. He will probably end up giving her a 1099, if he gives her anything at all.

That is also why she needs to get the state labor relations board involved.

melissa1277

You all have been great!! Your advice is great! Thank you very much!!

I have already started looking for a new job. It shouldn't be a problem getting one at all!! I will look into that form and start filling it out!!

Im upset to have to leave this place, the people are great (the regular customers) but its time to take care of myself and my boys and give my boss what he deserves!!

If you have any other advice along the way, I would appreciate it immensely!!

Thank you once again!:)

Melissa

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">