• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TerribleLie

What is the name of your state? OH

My husband wrecked (totaled) his truck 2 weeks ago and had a passenger. He came around a blind turn and saw a small truck in front of him. Rathar than rearending the S-10 with his one ton truck he swerved to the right and hit an 8 foot dropoff into a concrete barrier. His friend broke his leg and had to have pins and rods in it and my husband broke his hip. My insurance company has a $5,000 medical payout (for each passenger) but $50,000/$100.000 bodily injury. My question is, if they get lawyers will they pay the rest of the hospital bills? I know they should for his friend, but will they for my husband too? What about lost wages or pain and suffering?
Also....
When they wrecked they were off the clock for the company that they work and were heading home when they noticed a water line break and went back to the yard to get a wrench, they turned off the water and were on the way to drop off the wrench when the accident occured. Would they be intitled to Workman's Compensation??

ecmst12

They were off the clock so I'd guess no on worker's comp. The passenger can make a BI claim against your husband(including lost wages and pain/suffering); your husband is out of luck. Does he have health insurance? If so, they will cover the rest of the bills if you send them a letter showing that his medical payments coverage on his auto insurance had been exhausted.

TerribleLie

Wouldn't he just sue our insurance company for the bodily injury claim and lost wages?? I was in an accident a long time ago and got all of my bills paid plus a $10,000 settlement and the guy that that wrecked me only had state minimum liabilty.

racer72

Wouldn't he just sue our insurance company for the bodily injury claim and lost wages??
The insurance company was not negligent and did not cause the accident. Your husband was and would be the party sued, the insurance company will defend him and pay any judgment up to the policy limits.

moburkes

Wouldn't he just sue our insurance company for the bodily injury claim and lost wages?? I was in an accident a long time ago and got all of my bills paid plus a $10,000 settlement and the guy that that wrecked me only had state minimum liabilty.
Most states have per person limits that are higher than $10,000. You were the NOT at fault party, so his liability paid for your damages.

In your husband's accident, bodily injury (the $50,000/$100,000) only pays for medical bills/P&S for the OTHER people that are injured, not himself. The ONLY coverage that he has for himself in an at fault accident is $5k med pay, and health insurance. Check with your auto insurance company to see if they offer double indemnity ($10k) if you're wearing your seat belt (if it applies).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">