• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

settlement vs. medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NJInjury

What is the name of your state? NJ

Is pain and suffering settlement usually more or less than medical bills? Or is there no direct correlation? I was in an accident in nov 06 and have racked up $120K in medical bills so far. One or two more surgeries likely.

I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to expect some type of a connection between the two amounts or if that's just a myth. Thanks.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

Is pain and suffering settlement usually more or less than medical bills? Or is there no direct correlation? I was in an accident in nov 06 and have racked up $120K in medical bills so far. One or two more surgeries likely.

I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to expect some type of a connection between the two amounts or if that's just a myth. Thanks.
This doesn't answer your question, but I have a few questions.

Does the at fault party even have enough insurance? If not, are they wealthy?

ecmst12

The two amounts are usually related, but there's no specific formula. The more treatment you need, the more you are assumed to have suffered. Also the more treatment you need, the more likely it is that you will suffer permanent damages as a result of your injuries, which in some states (including, I believe, NJ) you MUST have suffered in order to receive ANY compensation for "pain and suffering" (as opposed to just medical bills).

moburkes

The two amounts are usually related, but there's no specific formula. The more treatment you need, the more you are assumed to have suffered. Also the more treatment you need, the more likely it is that you will suffer permanent damages as a result of your injuries, which in some states (including, I believe, NJ) you MUST have suffered in order to receive ANY compensation for "pain and suffering" (as opposed to just medical bills).
Well, you made me look it up!:D
It depends upon whether or not the OP has chosen limited or unlimited right to sue for his own auto policy. But, yes, he has to "clear the threshhold" of restrictions first.

OP - Sometimes the P&S is less than the medical bills, and sometimes it is greater. It all depends, so, she is correct, there is no formula.

NJInjury

Thanks everyone.

Moburkes, BI limit it $300K total/accident. People aren't wealthy, but I was wondering if the insurance will pay out the policy limit or not. Threshhold has been cleared, I'm waiting to hear from the insurance...which is probably waiting until all my medical treatment is done before settling. I just figured it was an open and shut case and thought it would be settled sooner.

Seems like I'll have to wait and see. I just want to put this whole ordeal behind me. I fractured my occipital condyle, L1-L3, L5, rt wrist (giving me all kinds of problems), fractured pelvis, fractured rt foot. I have plates and pins all over. Thanks for responses.

moburkes

You need the person person limit, not the total. Likely, the per person limit is $100k, unless they have combined single limits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">