• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about filing status

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in the process of getting divorced and plan to be divorced by the end of the year. In April, my ex and I moved out into separate homes and were not financially supporting each other in any way. I have a dependent minor child who lives with me most of the time and for whom I bear the vast majority of financial responsibility. Prior to April, my ex and I were living together, but still didn't support each other. He paid his share of bills, I paid my share.

Even though I'm still legally married on paper, since I've lived on my own with a dependent child for most of the year, can I file head of household on my 2007 tax return?

TinkerBelleLuvr

If you are divorced by the end of the year AND you are deemed the custodial parent, you can claim Head of Household.

In the event that the divorce does NOT go thru, you can be considered unmarried for tax purposes IF you live separately the last half of the year (and this is the time the IRS cares who is sleeping where), are the custodial parent.

Custodial parent = more than 1/2 the year. Can be 6 months and 1 day.

Good place to check is:
http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw80.html

Snipes5

I think introducing the ideas of "custodial parent" and "unmarried for tax purposes" without a full explanation is needlessly confusing.

If the facts are exactly as you presented them, then yes, you may file as Head of Household as long as you have a dependent child who has lived with you >6 mos of the year and your spouse has not slept in the home at any time during the last six months of the year, whether your divorce is final or not.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">