• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hardship license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chris103549

Hi. This is a great website! Thanks in advance for any help!

Recently, my brother borrowed a motorcycle from a friend and got in to an accident. No other vehicles were involved but he did get a ticket for not having insurance on it. Because he didn't have insurance (the owner of the bike didn't either... apparently), his license is getting suspended for 90 days. As luck would have it, he just got a new job as an electrician and he needs to be able to drive the company trucks.

He talked to the DMV about the situation and they suggested hiring a lawyer to apply for a "hardship license". I'm hoping this is something he can do on his own. How hard is one of these licenses to get and what is the best way to approach it?

Thanks so much!

Oh, I live in Indiana.

ecmst12

I was able to pull up the required forms for my state by looking on the DMV's web site. PA calls it an "occupational limited license". You could start there.

FlyingRon

In INDIANA, it's called a "Restricted Drivers License"

It however specifically excludes suspensions for failure to have insurance.

Five seconds googling "indiana hardship license" would have yielded this:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title9/ar24/ch15.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">