• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need a lawyer at my arraignment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

98hfs

I'm in California.

I've been charged with something so ridiculous that I think I could just get it dismissed at my arraignment.

If I don't, I'll get a lawyer.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

FlyingRon

I'm in California.

I've been charged with something so ridiculous that I think I could just get it dismissed at my arraignment.

If I don't, I'll get a lawyer.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?
Charges don't get dismissed at arraignments. Arraignments are where the charges are read to you and you enter a plea. You will not be given the oppurtunity to explain how rediculous they are. You'll not be saying anything other than NOT GUILTY at that point and setting a date for the trial. If you get a lawyer now he may be able to get the DA to toss the charges before though.

CdwJava

Ditto the previous comment.

The arraignment concerns itself with your plea, a request for a public defender (if you are indigent), and little else. The judge will not care to hear your impression of the strength of the case or how ridiculous it might be.

As you were advised, if you hire an attorney he might be able to get the DA to see the error of his ways and drop the matter. But, most cases that are "ridiculous" on their face do not even GO to arraignment as the DA does not even file them. So, don't count on it just getting dropped with little fuss or muss.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">