• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a tax court case vacated from 1997/98

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marbol

What is the name of your state? TX (Federal Tax Court "S"mall case)

I had a case before the tax court in 1997 that was closed with a decision in 1998 because of some fraudulent papers put before the court. One piece of paper with my signature on it was stapled to a different piece with a stipulated amount of 6K dollars. The two papers contained different case numbers at the top - clearly showing they were from different cases - but the case was settled that way and they didnt' send me the decision - so I believed it to be settled the way I signed it.

So now, I have a new case before the court in the matter - but I filed a Motion for Leave to File Motion to Vacate about the prior case. I used the new case at the top of the pleading, and in the pleading, I mention the old case to be vacated. The new case is about the original matter.

The judge rejected it as "Improper Joinder" -

So, what case number do I put at the top of the Motion for Leave, and what case number do I put at the top of the pleading for Motion to Vacate (I assume now that I put the old case number at the top instead of the new one like I did last time).

But, if so, then what attroney do I send the pleading to and how does the Certificate of Service read? Do I send it to their current attorney handling the new case? If not, the old attorney (from 10 years ago?)

Should I just try to negotiate with the IRS's counsel?

Thanks.

LdiJ

I am truly sorry, but you already received, on another thread, the best advice that an internet message board can give you.

You need a tax attorney....if you had had one from the beginning this would probably be long done and over with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">