• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TV manufacturer won't replace defective TV set

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

david m. martin

I purchased a Proscan 27" TV in January 1998. It was bought at a store closing sale and all sales were final. The original manufacture's warranty came with the TV. Shortly after the purchase, the TV began to make a high pitch squelling sound at various times. I have had the TV repaired twice in the past two years for the problem, but the problem is still there. I contacted the manufacturer of the TV. I was told I had to write a letter to their consumer review board. I did that explaining to them the problems I've had with the TV. I told them that I wanted a replacement TV because I was sick and tired of having the TV repaired and was afraid that I had bought a "lemon" TV. Their consumer review board responded back that they were concerned with my dilemna. They offered to replace my TV as long as I send my current TV back to them and pay them $341 to cover the cost of the difference of age between the two TV's. I called them back explaining I was not satisfied with their decision. I was told that that was all they could offer me.
I told them that I wasn't giving them any more money for their defective product, and would take them to court if necessary. I paid $430 for the original TV. The TV that they are offering me retails for approximately $850. I live in New York. The manufacture of the TV (Thomson Consumer Electronics) is based in Indiana. Is this case winnable in small claims court or should I retain a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">