• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with accident claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdc3323

Connecticut

Hello,

I need some advice about my wife's accident. She was at a stop light when she got rear ended by a motor vehicle. My rear bumper was cracked. My wife went to the doctor the next day with pain in her neck and was experiencing headaches. The doctor gave her medication for the headache and sent her to physical therapy for 10 sessions. I don't know the exact medical terms for what they diagnosed but it was along the lines of sprained neck. My wife has finished the physical therapy and her neck is feeling better. She still receives headaches periodically.

The person who rear ended her was insured by travelers insurance. They paid us $500.00 for the rear bumper to be replaced. Now they want to settle the medical. This is where I don't know what a fair amount is for this claim. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. If you need any further info let me know.

Thanks for any/all help
Craig

justalayman

I would suggest not settling so quickly. Not that your experience will be as bad as my wifes but she was involved in a similarly minor accident.

Well, 8 years, 10 operations and a prosthetic choulder later, she is doing great.

Sometimes things take a while to show up. Better to not sign off if there is still a problem until you are fairly sure all is, or will be, well.

I don't know the exact medical terms for what they diagnosed but it was along the lines of sprained neck. My wife has finished the physical therapy and her neck is feeling better. She still receives headaches periodically.
cervical sprain

some get better in days weeks while some take longer. headaches are a symptom associated with this. usually a muscle is pressing against neck nerves which may cause headaches. chiropractic sessions followed by possible physical therapy usually takes care of it if it is just a soft tissue injury. to find out if it is something more, a scan or MRI is needed to evaluate it. all this should be covered under the accident and usually the insurance will keep the case open until it is resolved.

cdc3323

Thanks for all of the great advice. Also for the details on the medical.

One other question:
When everything is all said and done how do I settle the claim?
Do I just give them the medical documents and have them pay them?
Do I need to draft a claim with all the expenses?

ok, I guess it was a couple more questions.

I guess I don't understand how the insurance company decides how much to pay me.

ecmst12

Pay your medical bills yourself, if you can. Add up the total. Add what you feel is a fair amount for pain and suffering. Write a demand letter. (Hopefully) get a check. If they don't like your offer, they will make a counter. If you don't like their counter offer, hire an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">