• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADA Question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suddud

Okay, I haven't been on this forum very long, so if this kind of subject has been discussed my appologizes. But, I'm just curious if someone on here could give me some advice as to what to tell a friend of mine.

Okay, my friend was in an accident when he was about 5 and he was expected to never live a normal life, but now he is a walking, talking, living miracle. He can run, he can participate in almost every normal activity. He doesn't use handicap parking, cause he can walk fine. He just has a limp, and his hand shakes uncontrolably. Its not a major shake, but it is a shake.

He was planing on joining the Air National Guard, but he was told by a Army National Guard recruiter that no National Guards would accept him. I realize that they have these rules to protect people, and to keep them safe, but he wants to be in like vehical management all he would have to do is drive, he does that safely everyday in big S 10. Yeah his hand shakes, and he walks with a limp, but besides that, hes fine. Now, this doesn't seam fair to me. I know life isn't fair, but I think their has to be something for him. Now he has in his mind that since they won't pay for collage, and he doesn't have the money, he doesn't need to even be in High School anymore. Hes givin up.

Someone, help me help him.

David

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

I applaud your efforts to help your friend. This is a situation where military law and civilian law combine.

The Americans With Disabilities

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Employees are required to provide equal opportunity and reasonable accommodations to disabled employees, under mandate by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Signed by former President George Bush in 1990, the ADA has been called the most comprehensive civil rights measure in more than 30 years. It took effect in 1992, requiring employers to consider disabled job candidates. Once hired, disabled workers must receive equal pay and opportunities for advancement. The ADA defines reasonable accommodations as those that don’t create undue business hardships on the employer. Examples include elevators, handicapped parking, ramps and wheelchair-accessible restrooms and break rooms. Signaling devices, such as lights, might be used to supplement alarms for the hearing impaired. The ADA also requires reasonable accommodations for the disabled to access public services, telecommunications and activities of state and local government. In 1992, only companies with at least 25 workers had to obey the ADA. But today, the law also governs companies with at least 15 workers. For more information, consult a labor and employment law professional in your area.

http://www.jaa.org/links.htm

http://www.attorneypages.com

You will probably need all three to figure out if your friend did indeed suffer discrimination. Have you also thought about contacting the ACLU?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">