• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who's Liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HusbandToBe

Hello all!

I'm 23 and I live in GA. I currently drive and and make payments on a car but the car is my mother's name. I am also on her car insurance plan through Geico. She is concerned that if I have an accident they will sue her instead of me because the car is in her name. Is that true?

Thanks in advance!
HusbandToBe

ecmst12

Yes, she can be sued if she is the owner of the car. But if you are the driver, you are the one who will primarily be liable. As long as the car is insured, your insurance will defend in any lawsuit.

moburkes

Make sure that your insurance company knows that you are not a household member, if you're not. Since companies only insure household members on the same policy. You can find a policy with you as the named insured. Your mother doesn't need to be on the policy, or can be listed as additional insured/interest, unless she drives the vehicle. It may be more expensive, but it IS the proper way that the policy should be written.

ecmst12

Won't change her exposure if she's on the title though. BTW, she won't be sued INSTEAD OF you, she'll be sued AS WELL AS you.

moburkes

Won't change her exposure if she's on the title though. BTW, she won't be sued INSTEAD OF you, she'll be sued AS WELL AS you.
Nope, it won't. Just trying to make any claims process smoother - otherwise it looks like they were trying to deceive the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">