• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court approval? What does this mean

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbever

What is the name of your state? IN
My sons and I were involved in an accident it was the other persons fault. I'm dealing with his insurance company and yesterday I got an email saying this

"we need to get court approval for the boys settlements. (Lawyers name) will be handling this at no cost to you. He is hired to represent your children.

Can someone please tell me what this means and why we need court approval and why they have hired a lawyer for to represent my children?

Thanks for your help.

seniorjudge

Can someone please tell me what this means and why we need court approval and why they have hired a lawyer for to represent my children?

Lawyers are not judges. A judge must approve judgments in a lawsuit. Also, it may be that the boys are minors, in which case a judge must approve the settlement in a guardianship/conservatorship action.

Your post didn't give enough details.

sbever

I'm not sure what other details. The accident happened in 8/06. My sons were 16 and 13 at the time. We were rearended by a large loaded down dump truck. My honda civic was totaled. We all walked away from the accident with minor injuries - thankfully. The settlement for each child is under 2500 each. The adjuster is wanting me to settle on mine quicky and she said the lawyer would be in contact with me to represent my children. I'm confused - I've never been in an accident so I'm not sure what to expect.

moburkes

The settlement for the minor children is likely to be put into a trust for them to have when they are adults.

racer72

Parents don't always have their own children's best interest in mind when it comes to money. This ensures the children get a fair shake from the insurance company and that the money will go to the children, not the parents.

sbever

So it is invested for them and earns interest until they are 18 and ready for college? How do trusts work?

Again, Thank you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">