• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrateddrive

What is the name of your state? New York

My neighborhood garage locked my car keys in my car and then obviously tried to pry the door open. Their attempt resulted in damage to the body of my leased vehicle as well as the door. Since reporting the incident I have been given the run around. I've been told to return numerous times, have been provided atrocious customer service, have been refused information (ie: supervisor names/contact information) and have been told that the facility does not pay for "that type of damage" only dents, scratches and broken glass. I don't understand how a parking garage has the right to pick and choose what repairs they cover and I believe that the behavior of the staff aside from irresponsible is questionable. I have not been able to locate any information regarding this business online (ie- BBB). I'd like to inquire regarding my legal rights, and whether I should seek representation.

ecmst12

Do you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance? If so, let them handle the claim and go after the garage. Usually comp claims are "no fault" but in this case you clearly know who damaged your vehicle. Your other alternative is to take the company (and/or the specific employee) to small claims court.

moburkes

Do you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance? If so, let them handle the claim and go after the garage. Usually comp claims are "no fault" but in this case you clearly know who damaged your vehicle. Your other alternative is to take the company (and/or the specific employee) to small claims court.
Are you sure this is comp? I would think collision. Collision pays no fault claims. Comp is theft and vandalism. I believe that the damage, while accidental, wouldn't qualify for comp.

xylene

Are you sure this is comp? ... Comp is theft and vandalism.
They were attempting to access the car.

They were doing this to cover their own mistake (locking the keys in), not as agents of the car owner acting in good faith.

That sounds like vandalism to me.

moburkes

They were attempting to access the car.

They were doing this to cover their own mistake (locking the keys in), not as agents of the car owner acting in good faith.

That sounds like vandalism to me.
I know what you mean. Collision covers accidental damage, which is where I was coming from. This was accidental damage. Comprehensive doesn't cover "no fault", which is where I was confused, in ecmst12's explanation.

ecmst12

It's comp because there was no COLLISION. I'd describe the damage as vandalism, that's closer to what happened then a collision.

What I meant by "no fault" is that fault is not usually assigned for comp claims, and another person wouldn't usually be liable (or identified to be held responsible, in the case of theft/break in). The difference between hitting a tree (collision) and hitting a deer (comp) is that the driver is at fault for hitting the tree, the deer can't be held legally responsible for the damage to the car, but the damage isn't the driver's fault either. So no one is recorded as being "at fault" for the accident and rates can't be surcharged.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">