• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unresponsive insurance company-how to proceed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmzltc

What is the name of your state? Georgia

In June 2007, my car was hit by an oncoming vehicle who made an illegal turn. The other driver was cited at the scene. I was not cited at all. The driver of the other car did not have his own insurance but was driving his parent's vehicle.

The damage to my car was considerable, and it has not been driveable since that day. I was also injured (neck and back, and leg) and required two ER trips, multiple medications and week of lost work. I have improved physically but don't know if I have lasting damage at this point.

The insurance company never proactively contacted me after the crash. I badgered them for weeks to initiate contact and faxed them copies of the accident report and all my medical bills, etc. To date, the insurance company has not completed anything -- no investigation at all. They only sent a letter saying they were going to close my case. They don't return my many phone calls, either.

The car is worth approximately $3,000, and my current medical bills are about another $3,000. This does not consider pain and suffering or lost time from work, nor does it consider any future medical treatment or impairment.

I know this isn't a huge claim, but it's big to me. I've lost my only car, and I got injured. Do I need an attorney, and if so, how can I get one to take on my case via contingency, because money is tight?

Basically, I need to know how to escalate this process, because everything is at a stalemate right now. Thanks in advance for your time and responses.

alnorth

If everything you said is true and there's nothing important being left out, your insurance company could be coming dangerously close to acting in bad faith. As mentioned, this may be worth buying an hour of a lawyer's time to find out if its worth a bad faith lawsuit.

las365

Is the insurance carrier you are talking about the carrier for the other driver ( and/or his parents) or yours?

What reason did the letter give for closing your claim?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">