• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

File someone's taxes for them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momxthree

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

Would it be legal and accepted for me to file my ex-husbands taxes for him? I would sign MY name and I have ALL information needed to file them. There will be an amount owed...with interest and penalties, but I am also going to pay the taxes. Oh, and no his signature will not be on the taxes... I can't find him.
Any help is appreciated.

momxthree

Thanks..

I wouldn't sign his name... I would fully disclose that I am the one doing it.
But I understand what your saying. Thanks

momxthree

Why?

Why would I do this and am I doing this FOR or TO him??
Well, I wish someone would do something like this TO ME! hahaha
Seriously, after our divorce he stopped filing taxes. Therefore there are liens on the community property. I have a partition of property giving me all rights and equity for non payment of child support. However, it came after the liens therefore the government wants their money first. All he has to do is file. He is not going to do that (for obvious reasons). If he were to file he would owe less then $2K. If he doesn't, it is over $20K. And it will come out of the equity of the house (which is not his money, not my money... it is our children's money). So, I would rather pay $2K of HIS debt rather than $20K + of HIS debt. And there is no negotiating. I've been told over and over... YOUR not THE taxpayer. I can't even get an attorney to represent me... because... I am not THE taxpayer, it is not MY debt. I, however, can pay ALL of it. They have no problem with WHO signs the check!!LOL... I'm laughing because I've run out of tears over this.

And btw, one thing that I know for sure... when you do things TO people it always, and I mean always comes back and it is usually ten fold! I don't operate on spite, I did when I was younger... and learned some really hard lessons from it.
Thanks for everyone's response.

abezon

Ask the divorce court judge to order him to file his taxes in the most advantageous way, then threaten to throw him in jail for contempt until he does. Given that he is intentionally inflating his tax debt so the IRS will get money & his kids won't, the judge might just get ticked off enough to go along with you. You'd better have mock return prepared to show the judge what's at stake.

LdiJ

Ask the divorce court judge to order him to file his taxes in the most advantageous way, then threaten to throw him in jail for contempt until he does. Given that he is intentionally inflating his tax debt so the IRS will get money & his kids won't, the judge might just get ticked off enough to go along with you. You'd better have mock return prepared to show the judge what's at stake.
Heck, it doesn't even have to be a mock return if she has the correct info to prepare it. If she has it ready for signature when they are in court, the judge can order him to sign it then and there.

momxthree

Judge ordered already

The Judge has ordered him to resolve the tax issues and this was his fourth contempt for non payment of child support. She made it very clear that the next time she saw him.. and was in contempt he would go to jail.
It took a really long time and lots of $$ to even get him served for that court date. I don't know where he is (again). I'm pretty sure that he will stay gone this time. Plus, I don't have a lot of time. The house was also ordered sold (in order to collect the arrears). Fortunately or Unfortunately... the house sold in FOUR days. The closing is in 3 1/2 weeks. I could (if invested properly) send my children to college with that equity (there are also Federal liens). I know, not my responsibility... BUT... it would've been nice!!! I guess they will also become BFF's with Sallie Mae!!! I just got rid of the 'B' and I graduated 15 years ago!!!!
It's seems that I've done all that I could do... This has been a long, long battle... and I've been paying the mortgage on this home for 10 years. Only to hand it all over to pay someone else's debt... I could just hurl! BUT... at least.... I'll be done with it soon.... There's one check I'll never have to write again!!!

TinkerBelleLuvr

Gee ... your ex is just a big a schmuck as mine! I can't get mine to do a 2006 tax return so my daughter can finish her FASFA. No FASFA, can't even apply for a student loan!:mad:

momxthree

Update

I wanted to give an update on this issue.
The house was sold and actually closed a week earlier then planned. I ended up contacting my local congressman and the director of the Dept. of Revenue in my state. After ruffling as many feathers as possible I was able to work one on one with the director of excise taxes. (the outstanding state taxes were IFTA, so that was the department I had to work with). Anyway, I got documentation from ex's former boss that should his IFTA taxes were in fact paid by the co he was working for, with the exception of one year (2K). Also, I contacted the Tax Advocate for the IRS and with the judgements the IRS decided that the ex's interest was only 10K, the rest was 1/2 mine and the remaining would go toward the CS arrears. They, however, considered the local tax debt a junior creditor and did not take it into consideration. In the end, out of 52K the IRS took 10K, the state took 2K and the remaining was mine. It was a very happy day. I never thought I would be so happy to pay 12K of someone else's debt!!! Let's just say, the ******i's were flowing that night!!!
Thank you to everyone who responded!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">