• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit denial reason from merchant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tediful2000

What steps do I take when a merchant ran my credit report, denied me credit, but will not tell me why without me submitting a letter to the store and the store forwarding this letter to their corporate office, so they say? Isn't there some sort of law that says if I am denied credit that the merchant is required to tell me why? The incident in question happened at a Phoenix, Arizona retailer.

[Edited by tediful2000 on 01-24-2001 at 02:08 AM]

D

David J. Miller

I believe the law states that if you are denied credit, the creditor must tell you why, only if you submit a written request to their the store which in turn must be forwarded to the creditors corporate office.

(The corporate office part is just to be funny, but in general this is correct. They are required to only when a wrtten request has been issued.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">