• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police Pre-employment Process

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Police_Hopeful

What is the name of your state? CONNECTICUT
I AM ABOUT TO APPLY TO BECOME A CITY POLICE OFFICER AND I HAD SOME QUESTIONS ABOUT SOME OF THE THINGS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING INTO. FIRST I GOT ARRESTED LIKE THREE TIMES ALL BEFORE I WAS 17 IN NY. I KNOW THAT THOSE GOT EXPUNGED BECAUSE I ENTERED THE NAVY AND ALSO ACQUIRED A SECRET CLEARANCE IN THE PROCESS. NOW I KNOW THEY DIDN'T COME UP WITH ANYTHING IN THEIR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, WILL IT BE SAFE TO SAY I NEVER WAS ARRESTED?

SECOND QUESTION: I'VE READ THAT IN SOME STATES YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFED IF YOU EVER SOLD DRUGS, NOW I DID SELL BUT I WAS LIKE 15/16 AND NOW I'M 25 GOING ON 26...WILL THAT STILL BE HELD AGAINST ME IF I DISCLOSE IT?

PLEASE I APPRECIATE ANYONES OPINION BUT I WOULD LIKE ANSWERS THAT ARE FACTUAL AND THAT I CAN LOOK INTO FURTHER..THANKS

Last edited:

CdwJava

NOW I KNOW THEY DIDN'T COME UP WITH ANYTHING IN THEIR BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION, WILL IT BE SAFE TO SAY I NEVER WAS ARRESTED?
I can't speak for CT law, but if their laws and background process is anything like ours, you will be REQUIRED to reveal those arrests - expunged or not.

Failure to reveal this information could result in termination if/when the info ever comes to light. Lying or falsifying this information will almost always result in termination no matter how long you have been working before it is discovered.

SECOND QUESTION: I'VE READ THAT IN SOME STATES YOU ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISQUALIFED IF YOU EVER SOLD DRUGS, NOW I DID SELL BUT I WAS LIKE 15/16 AND NOW I'M 25 GOING ON 26...WILL THAT STILL BE HELD AGAINST ME IF I DISCLOSE IT?
That may depend on agency policies. If the agency you apply with has a zero tolerance policy for drug offenses, then they will likely disqualify you right away. Frankly, I can't think of an agency that would consider you if you had been arrested at all for selling any drugs other than marijuana ... and even marijuana would be a disqualifier in most agencies.

Time, education, and a good solid work history can go a long way to overcome youthful indiscretions.

Here are the minimum requirements for the state of CT:

Q. What are the entry level requirements?

A. To qualify for a police officer certification in Connecticut, an applicant must meet all relevant entry level requirements, some of which are that the candidate: be a citizen of the United States; be at least 21 years of age; be a high school graduate or have passed the General Educational Development Test; possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license; have passed a validated written entry test; have been tested by an oral interview panel with at least one CT POST Council certified police officer on the panel; have been fingerprinted and a search made of fingerprint files for any record; not have been convicted by a court of any felony, any class A or class B misdemeanor or have committed any act which would constitute perjury or false statement; have been the subject of a background investigation; have been the subject of a polygraph examination (by POST Council approved polygraph examiners only); have been subject of a psychological examination; have not tested positive on a controlled drug screen; have been examined and certified by a Council accepted method as fit to perform the duties of a probationary candidate police officer (or a lateral transfer of a certified officer); have met all physical fitness requirements; have personally certified knowledge that any falsification of any statement in the application process constitutes grounds for termination.​

- Carl

Police_Hopeful

Thanks For Your Response, About The Drug Selling, I Was Never Arrested For Selling Drugs, The Arrests Were For Tresspassing, Loitering, Etc....

So Basically Answer Yes To The "have You Ever Been Arrested Question" And Explain If They Ask For Details?

CdwJava

Thanks For Your Response, About The Drug Selling, I Was Never Arrested For Selling Drugs, The Arrests Were For Tresspassing, Loitering, Etc....
They will still ask about that ... or, they will if they have a halfway decent background process. If asked, be entirely truthful.

So Basically Answer Yes To The "have You Ever Been Arrested Question" And Explain If They Ask For Details?
In my state you would have to reveal all arrests, generally even if expunged. However, it might be different in CT. But, that would be the gist of my suggestion: Answer, yes, and then explain it.

- Carl

You Are Guilty

If you were arrested in NY before you were 17, then the charges were NOT expunged, they were sealed because you were a juvenile. They are most certainly still "on" your record, and will likely turn up on any decent LEO background check. Lying about them will almost certainly guarantee you do not get the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">