• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car stolen from body shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kansan1968

What is the name of your state? Kansas
I had purchased a new car in July of 07 and the dealership dosent have their own body shop, so they send their customers to a local one who they trust. Well I just received my factory ground effects for my car and took it and my car to the body shop and left it with them. After one week I find out my car was stolen from the body shop, the body shop thinks it was one of their employees they just fired. Well now I'm stuck with out a vehicle and no transportation. Wouldnt the body shop be responsible for this? They did tell me to feel free to press charges on the person who stole your car. They told me to call my insurance company and get a rental carI dont have rental reinbursement. The body shop just told me that when they find my car they will just bring it to me. I've filed a police report and told my insurance about it, my insurance didnt offer me any advice on it what so ever, they just said good luck and call us if you need any information. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks!

moburkes

They're (the body shop) only responsible if the KNEW the employee was going to steal your vehicle, or had reason to believe that he was going to steal your vehicle. It appears, from your post, that soon after your vehicle was stolen, the employee quit, so they're just making assumptions or guesses about his involvement.

If you're saying that the original dealership should be responsible, then you're wrong.

kansan1968

No, I'm not saying the dealership should be responsiable. What the body shop told me was they fired the shop manager and my car disappeared. The person in charge of the body shop told me the shop manager has been "screwing over" alot of customers lately and handing out the customers keys to his friends if they needed a car to just drive for a while. The body shop manager also told me he heard that the employee they just fired has told people that "my car" was his own personal car.

moburkes

No, I'm not saying the dealership should be responsiable. What the body shop told me was they fired the shop manager and my car disappeared. The person in charge of the body shop told me the shop manager has been "screwing over" alot of customers lately and handing out the customers keys to his friends if they needed a car to just drive for a while. The body shop manager also told me he heard that the employee they just fired has told people that "my car" was his own personal car.
Okay, but again, if I am understanding you, this is why he was fired - because of the things they found out. That means that, after realizing that their employee was dishonest, they got rid of him, which is what they are supposed to do.

tammy8

Please tell us you have insurance on the car and gap insurance on your loan**************...

tammy8

Where is it at.where is it at.where is it at?

And Hey back! Kiss the girls from Auntie Tammy please!

moburkes

Where is it at.where is it at.where is it at?

And Hey back! Kiss the girls from Auntie Tammy please!
Hmmmmmm. Can't find it now. Hmmmmmm.

I will, though. Will take pics this weekend (I promise this time), and post for ya!

ecmst12

I would say the shop would bear some liability for the actions of their employee in this case. After all, the shop entrusted the employee with the keys.

moburkes

I would say the shop would bear some liability for the actions of their employee in this case. After all, the shop entrusted the employee with the keys.
It doesn't say that the employee took the vehicle with the keys. It only says that he had previously given keys to his friends...

StephenH

I would sue the Body Shop and Does 1-10. I would do a discovery for the employees they just fired, and add the ones that the body shop beleives stole the car as does.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">