• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an Insurance raise your rates if you file a claim? Details

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gilfjoa

What is the name of your state? FL
Thanks for all your responses to my post. I appreciate your kindness and I should have posted the details the first time around.

My son was a full time student in another city in FL. We live in FL as well. He was walking and was hit and killed by a car. He didn't own a car so he had no auto insurance. The insurance company for the driver that hit him contacted MY insurance company who in turn contacted me. My insurance company told me that because he was a full time student, we could claim benefits under my policy even though he lived in another city because he was a full time student and resident of our household. The driver was not ticketed but we are still waiting for the homicide report to be finished. Although, I believe FL is a no-fault state. By the way, I've had insurance for about 28 years and never had a claim. A person hit me from behind several years ago but I fixed it myself.
Thanks again

moburkes

Sorry about your son.

Yes, the answer to the question is the same. It is likely that your rates will be increased because of the claim? No. However, FL just change from a no fault state to a fault state, so, upon renewal, who KNOWS what the premiums will look like. But, as you were told on the other thread, premiums change even without claims being filed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">