• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Company and Settlements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marquez9810

This is in Oklahoma State. Is it true that insurance companies will not pay the medical bills first before doing a settlement offer to the client? The problem is that my family was involved in a wreck and I had taken them to several doctors and emergency rooms to get them checked out. The party that hit them has claimed full liability for the accident. Most of the other medical providers have placed liens on the case, but there is one that has sent it to a credit collection agency and the agency will not accept a "protection order" (according to the lawyers assistant). So this means that it might affect my spouse's credit report if not paid. I had told the assistant to tell my lawyer to have him call and have the responsible insurance company to pay that particular bill to avoid any credit report problems later down the road. I was told that insurance companies won't do that. I am in a bit of a dilemma, because I don’t believe that the lawyer is acting in our best interest but rather his own interests. The offers have been really low and the lawyer claims it is a bad time for tort cases because of an election year. There was approx. $6,000 of property damage to the car, approx. $5,000 in medical bills and physical therapy. Is it also true the insurance company won’t extend medical coverage for an “x” amount of years? I want to make sure that my wife doesn’t have any complications in the future that may arise from this car accident. I was in a car accident about ten years ago and I remember they did extend coverage for a period of a minimum of five years to cover any complications that may have been caused from the accident I was involved in. Any help and advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.

ecmst12

The at-fault person's insurance will not pay your doctors directly. You will have to pay the bill for now, and wait to be reimbursed when her treatment is complete and you get the final settlement from the insurance. And once you settle, that's it, that's all you get, she will have to sign a release saying that she will not seek any further reimbursement beyond that settlement, so make sure you include possible future medical costs when you figure out your demand.

JennyP410

You might try to set up a payment plan with the ones that are pressuring you. I am doing that with a couple of mine that wanted to be paid right now.

anon202

This is in Oklahoma State. Is it true that insurance companies will not pay the medical bills first before doing a settlement offer to the client? The problem is that my family was involved in a wreck and I had taken them to several doctors and emergency rooms to get them checked out. The party that hit them has claimed full liability for the accident. Most of the other medical providers have placed liens on the case, but there is one that has sent it to a credit collection agency and the agency will not accept a "protection order" (according to the lawyers assistant). So this means that it might affect my spouse's credit report if not paid. I had told the assistant to tell my lawyer to have him call and have the responsible insurance company to pay that particular bill to avoid any credit report problems later down the road. I was told that insurance companies won't do that. I am in a bit of a dilemma, because I don’t believe that the lawyer is acting in our best interest but rather his own interests. The offers have been really low and the lawyer claims it is a bad time for tort cases because of an election year. There was approx. $6,000 of property damage to the car, approx. $5,000 in medical bills and physical therapy. Is it also true the insurance company won’t extend medical coverage for an “x” amount of years? I want to make sure that my wife doesn’t have any complications in the future that may arise from this car accident. I was in a car accident about ten years ago and I remember they did extend coverage for a period of a minimum of five years to cover any complications that may have been caused from the accident I was involved in. Any help and advice is truly appreciated. Thanks.

sorry to sidetrack, but why would it be a bad year for the lawyers to tort? election year plays a role?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">