• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sideswipe Turnd Ugly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

schoolboy

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

it was early may last year when i was driving on street. a car emerged from my passenger side trying to merge onto traffic he sped up and sidewiped my passenger rear causing a piece of my rear panel to come loose,we didn't want to stop in the dark so we pulled into a gas station parking lot. when i got out he starts saying how it was my fault i should of seen him trying to get over he started coming toward me feeling threatened i hit him in his jaw, and got back in my car and left,being that the only car with damages were mine. should i have left the scene?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

it was early may last year when i was driving on street. a car emerged from my passenger side trying to merge onto traffic he sped up and sidewiped my passenger rear causing a piece of my rear panel to come loose,we didn't want to stop in the dark so we pulled into a gas station parking lot. when i got out he starts saying how it was my fault i should of seen him trying to get over he started coming toward me feeling threatened i hit him in his jaw, and got back in my car and left,being that the only car with damages were mine. should i have left the scene?
Sure, that was the right thing to do.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, and you also shouldn't have assaulted him.

You had a traffic accident and escalated it in to a crime.

ecmst12

The accident was not your fault. But you did leave the scene. You could be ARRESTED if he wants to press charges for hitting him. That was really dumb.

ecmst12

Pay to get your car fixed and hope he didn't get your license plate number. And NEVER do anything like that again!

CdwJava

If this occurred in May of 2006 then the statute of limitations has passed and you should not be charged.

However, you committed two crimes here: Battery (for hitting the guy), and Hit-and-Run (for leaving without exchanging information). If he were injured in the collision, then this would be a felony and they will have up to three years to file charges.

Dumb, dumb, dumb ... and very immature. Just how old are you, anyway?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">