• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gaining guardianship / Power of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

junebug8

What is the name of your state? Illinois / Wisconsin

I live in Illinois. My sister is 31 years old. She is anorexic and is in a hospital in Wisconsin. The hospital is wanting to insert a feeding tube. Their guideline is 2 lbs a week. She has been in for 5 weeks now and has gained 8 lbs. She is in stable condition and they are still insisting on a feeding tube.

The hospital is petitioning the court for control of her ( so they can insert the feeding tube). My sister has requested to be transferred to another facility. They are refusing and holding her against her will. Is there anything we can do? My sister is willing to sign over guardianship to my mother or do a power of attorney so we can remove her from this hospital. Can the hospital fight my mother on this? We have a facility to take her closer to home but the hospital is refusing. They are also unethical. They are lying to my mother and other facilities that she has requested a transfer to. They are neglecting her. We are desperate to bring her closer to home. Help!

violas

I am not a lawyer.:confused: My guess is that they do not have that court order in their hand right now. Therefore, I think she can sign out legally from the hospital by signing out AMA. (against medical advice). Once they do get that court order then yes she has to stay. So hurry and get her out of the hospital before they get a signed court order. Anyway, I hope a "real lawyer" will answer this question for you.;)

junebug8

Thanks Violas. I wish it was that easy just to sign out AMA. Her unit is locked. She signed a demand for release. The doctor has 24 hours to respond. If the doctor chooses not to release her (which they did), they have 72 hours to hold her until her court date which is Friday. We are screwed. Looks like the state of WI will have guardianship of her now unless we can get a lawyer there for her by then. There's no telling when we will see her again after Friday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">