• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court order to enter safe deposit box (FL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nautico

An elderly aunt of mine just died intestate in Miami Beach, FL. I am one of three next of kin (nephews) and am shown as the informant on the death certificate. In going through the deceased's personal effects, I dicovered the key to her safe deposit box in a Miami bank. The bank manager has informed me I need to present a court order to gain access to the box for one of three (or all) purposes: to look for a will (doubtful she had one), to inventory its contents, and/or to remove its contents. Since there is no estate and, therefore, no probate procedure in this case, to which court would I apply for such an order and can I do so directly without the use of counsel?

N

Nautico

Thanks, Guru. I've written a local attorney with whom I've dealt before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">