• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help..what do I do here ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

68thruster

CA

A little background, I have a destructive alcoholic father who can no longer take care of himself. He has zero assets outside of social security. He is also a veteran for what that is worth.

After dealing with the pain of having a sever alcoholic for 30 years my mother and I had enough. I suggested to my mother that she file for legal separation so that she can protect herself financially from any wrong doings ie. Crash a car and hurt something or someone. We went through this process.

At that time we also had a durable pwr of attorney and a health care directive put in place with me (the only child) with the authority. This occurred in 2006 in the state of California.

Here we are today in 2008, my father almost drank himself to death this month and was released from the hospital only a few weeks ago. During his week long stay in the hospital my mother and I decided that he will not be returning home. By the way I purchased a house for them and they lived there together although they were legally separated. For the record my dad is not abusive but causes us great pain and emotional hardship to all that love him. With nowhere for him to go I called his estranged sister who is in Baltimore who said she would take him in. I knew very little about my aunt and I felt as you can imagine terrible about shipping him off but we have tried everything over the years to get him to sobriety.

It has been one week, during that week he has called me several time to report abusive behavior which I have documented. She mentioned to me also that she wants to gain guardianship of him and that her intent is to switch around his health care directives to what I know are not his desires.

I will mention that his sister also seems to be without means and I believe she sees the harboring and control of my father as a benefit financially to her. She forced him (and she is a force to recon with) to call the social security office and change his check from automatic deposit into an account that I have managed for him for 3 years into a physical check that she gets 100% of. Where the agreement was she would get 40% of his SS income with the remaining 60% to assist my mother with her needs. I really have been very upfront in honest that I am appreciative of her assisting and we agreed on a fixed dollar amount to cover expenses.

My father has indicated to me that he is happy with how the finances were to be delt with but no less then two days after being under his sisters control he was forced according to him to place control in the hands of his sister.

She even went as far as take his computer away from him when he sent me an email indicating her abuse.

I don’t know what to do. At this point if she forces him to call and change financial things can I as a power of attorney trump the forced behavior ?

What does seeking guardianship get her, why is she seeking that (besides a tax break she claims she would get) ?

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">