• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deduct donation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scts102

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,
I recently established myself as an independant contractor. One of my clients is a not-for-profit organization, and as part of the agreement, I am to provide an "in-kind" donation to them. For example: I charge $60 / hour. They said that they would pay me $80/hour, and i was to donate $20 / hour back to them. They said that I would be able to deduct this come tax time.

Now, I am a full time college student, living at home (So my parents still claim me as a dependant). How would I go about writing this donation off my taxes?

Thanks,
Larry

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

You can only deduct , if you itemize on your taxes, the actual out-of-pocket expense you would have. A service would not be out-of-pocket. It you donate materials, then the cost of the materials.

You realize an income of $60.00. That is the income.

LdiJ

You can only deduct , if you itemize on your taxes, the actual out-of-pocket expense you would have. A service would not be out-of-pocket. It you donate materials, then the cost of the materials.

You realize an income of $60.00. That is the income.
And since you are a dependent on your parent's tax return, you are clearly unable to itemize.

Personally, I wouldn't go for it. You have to pay both regular tax and self employment taxes on that 20.00 that you would be donating back to them, and that going to cost you at least 25.00.

justalayman

I disagree.(not with you Ldj. you posted while I was typing) If this were to work, OP must claim the entire $80/hour as income (after all, that is what he will be invoicing them for). If he then wants to claim $20/hour as a charitable donation he can do that and let it work out concerning taxation as it does.

Not only would this have to be worked in this manner, depending on the total income, the deduction itself may be limited to less than the total of that deduction. In effect, you would not be getting your $60/hour even after all is said and done because you would end up paying some taxes on the $20/hour and you are giving the entire $20/ hour back to them.

abezon

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,
I recently established myself as an independant contractor. One of my clients is a not-for-profit organization, and as part of the agreement, I am to provide an "in-kind" donation to them. For example: I charge $60 / hour. They said that they would pay me $80/hour, and i was to donate $20 / hour back to them. They said that I would be able to deduct this come tax time.

Now, I am a full time college student, living at home (So my parents still claim me as a dependant). How would I go about writing this donation off my taxes?

Thanks,
Larry

I think that arrangement is a mandatory kickback & is illegal. Point this out to them & tell them you'll just invoice them $60/hour & there will be no 'in-kind' donations. Also, be sure to keep copies of the written agreement and/or letter ffrom them saying that they plan to gross up your pay by $20/hour & make you kick it back. This will help you at IRS audit tiime.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">