• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No collision coverage - liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Free Dog Food

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My son was given permission to use his friend's car. He had an accident which was his fault. No drinking, no drugs, no injuries, no speeding, purely an accident. In Kentucky insurance follows the car...therefore his friend's insurance will pay for the damage to the car he collided with.

His friend did not have collision coverage..just liability insurance. Friend's car is worth at the most $4000..probably less. He has one estimate for repair oof $2900.

My son is a 21 year old college student.

The friend's parent wants me to pay to repair the car. I said no. The parent wants me to get a loan for my son. I said no. I told them I would accept no role in repairing the car. I told them that my son feels bad, feels obligated and wants to pay for the repair, but as a college student, he will not be employeed before next summer. The parent said she would leave it up to her son to work it out with my son.

My son earned some money this summer and could offer about half of the cost of repair, the parent said no...all or nothing.

Now the parent (not the son) is calling my son in a harassing manner asking him to sign an agreement obligating him to repay them in a short amount of time.

Questions:

1. Is my son legally liable to pay for the repair of his friend's auto?
2. If yes, should he sign and IOU?
3. If no, and the friend takes my son to court, would a judge require that my son pay immedialtely? or give him through next summer to make it whole?What is the name of your state?

jffmstrs

I'm not sure about the legal aspect, but as far as good morals go, start teaching your son some! Your son can get a part time job, and attend collage at the same time. He can start paying for repairs to his friend's car. Also, if someone drove your car and wrecked it, how long would you be willing to wait to have it repaired?

jffmstrs

If your son has half the money, then put it in the bank. After your son finds a job, add to that amount until he has enough to pay for the repair. If someone wrecked my car, I'd want the full amount in payment then there are no arguments later as to how much is still owed. I get the feeling your son wants to pay for repairs, but you don't feel he should.

las365

I told them I would accept no role in repairing the car.
I'm a bit amused that when the parent wanted you to pay, you wanted no part in the whole matter, but now that your son is being asked to pay in spite of the terms you want to dictate, you are jumping back in.

Your son is an adult. The accident was his fault, he is liable for the damage. Let him deal with the consequences. If he wants to ask questions and get advice, send him on over here! He's welcome, and it would be better for him to find out for himself.

Free Dog Food

I've said all along to my son that the right thing to do is pay for the repair (and he will). My son is a college athlete...very little time for anything but school and sports. If the whole thing was reversed, I would tell my son to wait until next summer to fix his car. Options then would be wait until his friend pays, or pay for it himself. Lesson learned.

jffmstrs

I've said all along to my son that the right thing to do is pay for the repair (and he will). My son is a college athlete...very little time for anything but school and sports. If the whole thing was reversed, I would tell my son to wait until next summer to fix his car. Options then would be wait until his friend pays, or pay for it himself. Lesson learned.
Reeally? If the whole thing were reversed, you would tell your son to wait till next summer to have his car repaired, or fix it himself ? I find that rather hard to beleive!
Cut out the sports, or at least find a part time job in the evenings! You just don't want your son paying for the repairs because it wasn't his car but instead his freind's car! I'll bet if your friend wrecked your car, you would be quick to demand payment for repair! I'd also be willing to bet, that your son is going to loose a freind before it's over!

jffmstrs

Since you think his sports are more important then getting a job inorder to pay for the repairs on his friend's car, then why don't you pay for the repairs, and your son reimburse you next summer? Your son can still play sports. The car gets fixed, and he will still have a freindship with the other boy! Otherwise.... the boy can sue your son for the cost's, and if he wins which I'm sure he will your son will also have court costs to pay, and whatever else the court feels he is liable for!

Last edited:

ecmst12

"Cutting out sports" may not be an option, maybe he has a contract or a scholarship.

Your son is legally responsible for the damage. Your son and the owner of the car should work out a repayment schedule and you should stay out of it.

moburkes

Your son needs to figure out how to pay for the damages. He caused them. They shouldn't have to wait in order to have their vehicle fixed. They will likely sue him in small claims court, and get a judgment that will go on his credit report for the next 10 years, and it is likely renewable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">