• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hartford cancels long term disability on MS insured

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skipnrocks

What is the name of your state? Maine
My wife has MS and constant fatigue, headaches, numbness and related symptoms.
She was fired by Muscular Dystrophy assoc. for physical inability to work. Hartford began coverage for a few years then sent someone out to interview her. They then began to follow her and videotape her.
They denied her continuing coverage because she went to the store, went to the mall once, and drove her car.
Her neurologist has certified she cannot work and we feel they are working the percentages,
meaning so many cancellations, a certain percentage will give up

moburkes

we feel they are working the percentages,
SJ is correct. If you've read the forums AT ALL, you'll realize that you'll need to ask a legal question.

I'm going to venture, though, that they have more on her than just:
They denied her continuing coverage because she went to the store, went to the mall once, and drove her car.
I have no idea what the below statement means:
we feel they are working the percentages,

msiron

Are you saying your wife worked of the MS association? and she has MS also? and she became worse while working and then went out on workers' comp?

Interview her? Do you mean someone conducted an 'in person' Disability Review?

Sounds like OP is saying wife is out of work on comp., (can't be unemployment) and she's had a review, then been under surveillance and caught on video while shopping, driving or other activities, then her benefits were terminated and she has to go to a comp hearing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And the answer to his question, whatever it may be (probably, can they legally cancel the policy) will be found in the disablity policy itself, which we have not read.

justme2007

Been there

Apply for SSDI if you haven't already done so. You can use that approval as leverage, keep filing with hartford - don't let up. If you have a close friend that's willing to help with the paperwork and keeping track of things.....let them help!!

I too have MS and the disability stuff can be a nightmare.....you're already sick and they (for me it was Cigna) think they can run ya over**************.FIGHT! Being disabled doesn't mean bed ridden, it means you're unable to consistenly perform your job (I loved what I did and still, after 2 years, miss it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">