• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Classification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunflower12

What is the name of your state? GA

Where would you classify a gift given to you for rehoming a stray animal? I rehomed several stray animals, without asking for anything, that I had spayed/neutered and received money as a gift for doing so. The amounts came nowhere close to what I had spent - $60 vs 250, $10 vs 80. I don't believe it's a sale because I never asked for anything much less a set amount. I just don't know anymore after trying to read through all of the documentations regarding gift tax.

seniorjudge

What is rehoming?

What are you talking about?

You spayed/neutered some mutts and you want a tax benefit?

Is that correct?

sunflower12

What is rehoming?

What are you talking about?

You spayed/neutered some mutts and you want a tax benefit?

Is that correct?
Rehoming is basically rescuing a stray and finding it a home. I don't want a tax benefit at all. I just wanted to know if I should report the gift given in exchange, or just forget about it, since it was done on more than one occassion. Thanks, and again in advance!

sunflower12

Is this a gift or a partial reimbursement for the expenses? are you doing this for a non-for-profit charitable outfit?
Some were partial reimbursements, some were flat out gifts. And no, this would be out of pocket personal income affected.

LdiJ

Some were partial reimbursements, some were flat out gifts. And no, this would be out of pocket personal income affected.
If your cost was greater than the gift that you received then honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a 1099 from the gifting organization.

In my opinion whether it was classified as a partial reimbursement or a gift, it was a partial reimbursement for the money that you spent.

abezon

The payments are not taxable to you. The difference between what you spent & what you got can be deducted as a charitable donation if you did the placements through a non-profit organization. If you just placed ads in the classified to find new homes, you can't claim any deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">