• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help with POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ga. my deceased aunts first cousin "made" herself POA over my aunt and uncle back in march and when i found out, i promptly went and had papers drawn up and notarized revoking it. she also took my uncle to a lawyer and had him sign a will that she had already drawn up leaving her basically everything. i have since had a new will drawn up and it is filed in the county courthouse of residence. if she never filed her POA papers with the county of residence, are they legal and/or binding? when my aunt passed away, the cousin proceeded to clean out all of my aunts clothes from the house, shoes, purses and we found out a week later, her jewelry. she is now claiming that , first of all, she has POA, and that also my uncle told her she could take the jewelry. he was supposed to have given her permission to take this jewelry on the same day that my aunt died--a woman he had been married to for 68 years. i don't think he was in the frame of mind to give permission for anything. she also tried to steal $800 from him while she was "cleaning" his house. he caught her on that one. she had him sign a quick claim deed on one of his cemetary plots (on the day my aunt died) so she could be buried here instead of her home town, and is now calling his preacher and neighbors trying to get them to talk to him about letting her come back around him. i know this is long winded but i would like to know what if any legal recourse we have (without alot of trouble) to get this mess straight.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

lwpat

A POA ends at death so her only claim is that Uncle "gave" the items to her. My suggestion is to probate the Aunt's estate and request that the court name you as the personal representative. Then you can demand the items back or take her to court. Depends on the value as to whether it is worth the trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">