• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do you obtain DPOA when there is a Payee involved?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

outatouch

What is the name of your state? CA

My father has had several strokes, and has been disabled for the better part of the last decade. We had not spoken for a few years, then 2 years ago I found him. When we first started talking again I learned that his "Caregiver" (and I use this term very loosely) had been neglecting his care and was spending all of his money, all while running his credit into the ground. As my Dad is a Veteran, the VA assigned a Representative Payee to handle his financial affairs. Recently he has become very ill, and has asked me to obtain the POA while he is still capable of signing it over. I have an appointment for the Healthcare POA, and was advised that will not be a problem. Unfortunately, I am not getting a lot of help from the VA with obtaining information on how to obtain a Durable Power of Attorney . I have spoken with his Payee directly, and he said that I am not eligible to obtain the DPOA and even if I complete one and have it notarized, it is worthless. Has anyone else ever had to do this??? Any advice you can offer is appreciated! Thx...What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? CA

My father has had several strokes, and has been disabled for the better part of the last decade. We had not spoken for a few years, then 2 years ago I found him. When we first started talking again I learned that his "Caregiver" (and I use this term very loosely) had been neglecting his care and was spending all of his money, all while running his credit into the ground. As my Dad is a Veteran, the VA assigned a Representative Payee to handle his financial affairs. Recently he has become very ill, and has asked me to obtain the POA while he is still capable of signing it over. I have an appointment for the Healthcare POA, and was advised that will not be a problem. Unfortunately, I am not getting a lot of help from the VA with obtaining information on how to obtain a Durable Power of Attorney . I have spoken with his Payee directly, and he said that I am not eligible to obtain the DPOA and even if I complete one and have it notarized, it is worthless. Has anyone else ever had to do this??? Any advice you can offer is appreciated! Thx...What is the name of your state?
Petition for conservator over dad (both person & estate). The Payee is correct regarding DPOA & the VA. Only the VA can change who is the Payee when there is no court appointed conservator/guardian. Both the VA & SSA do not recognize/accept POA's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">