• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POWER OF ATTORNEY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mr. L.

California; Minnesota

I have had the Power of Attorney for my father, who suffers from Alzheimers, for six and a half years. My attorney advised me that my Power of Attorney, which he prepared, and which I had notarized, is completely legal. Anytime a situation arises where proof of Power of Attorney is requested, a photocopy has been adequate.

However, recently, a bank in another state (Minnesota) advised me that their County requires a CERTIFIED copy of the Power of Attorney for their files (I have a Home Equity Line of Credit on my father's house.)

This is the first time in six and a half years of using the Power of Attorney for my father that I have run into this requirement. And since my father and I are residents of California, and the County requiring this "Certification" is Ramsey in Minnesota, this is a particularly inconvenient situation.

Just exactly what does it mean to have a "Certified" copy of a Power of Attorney, and how do I get one? It will be impossible for my father to sign another Power of Attorney form.

A

advisor10

(01-24-2001)

You should really try to find out from the Minnesota bank what their definition of a CERTIFIED COPY is, so that you don't continue to keep being given the run-around from them or do it incorrectly. I am guessing that what they mean is they want an embossed document that has been stamped by the county courthouse or probate court clerk or county clerk or by some state government official. It seems somewhat that Minnesota doesn't really realize the silliness of what they are asking (why isn't the notarized signature good enough?), but maybe there is a reason that they may have some rules or guidelines to follow, as well.

If possible, you need to speak with the attorney who prepared it for you to get his opinion of what might be needed.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">