• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid LookBack Formula

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobS

What is the name of your state? NY

My in-laws sold me their house 4 years ago for appx $125K even though the market value was appx $400K. They want to apply for medicaid now, does the 3 or 5 year lookback apply for that transaction?

FlyingRon

It's now 5 years. This is a really tricky point of elder law and you should retain someone who really understands the exact laws and the dates involved to avoid inadvertantly kicking in the penalty periods.

RobS

Thanks, I understand the lookback is now 5 years so perhaps I should rephrase... As the effective date of the DRA was 2/2006 and my transaction was done 8/2003, does it have to be introduced? Was the lookback phased in (as I've read)?

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? NY

My in-laws sold me their house 4 years ago for appx $125K even though the market value was appx $400K. They want to apply for medicaid now, does the 3 or 5 year lookback apply for that transaction?
According to your post, this was not a bona fide transaction.

Thus, your question is moot.

In other words, the government can go against the house.

ShyCat

That $275,000 gift from your parents would be subject to the lookback period. It also means your parents should have filed a Gift Tax Return.

FlyingRon

The date that matters is when they apply for medicaid. Since they are applying NOW, it is a 5 year lookback.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">