• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juveniles mom in need of advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sis4u34

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I am the mother of a 15 year old who was on probation for curfew violation and taking a cooler from a campground. He was recently arrested for the suspicion of selling marijuana at school. When searched by school officials, there was no illegal drugs or money found on my child, but another child whom they found it on stated that my son sold it to him. When the probation officer contacted me with information about him being transfered, I stated he was not to be questioned unless in my presence. She actually tried to question him after this. Also, she shackled him to the point that marks were evident even two hours after they were removed. Also she placed him a detention facility for a week and now has him on tether for a violation of probation. When I asked for a court appointed attorney she told me she wouldnt appoint one until we went to court. He has not been to court for the arrest or the probation violation. Does any of this sound right to anyone or has she violated my rights and my sons rights? I have asked numerous times about the court date and she keeps telling me she hasnt decided yet. How can he be in violation of probation if he hasnt been found guilty of the crime? Also is there a time limit on how soon a juvenile should be set in front of a judge?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I am the mother of a 15 year old who was on probation for curfew violation and taking a cooler from a campground. He was recently arrested for the suspicion of selling marijuana at school. When searched by school officials, there was no illegal drugs or money found on my child, but another child whom they found it on stated that my son sold it to him. When the probation officer contacted me with information about him being transfered, I stated he was not to be questioned unless in my presence. She actually tried to question him after this. Also, she shackled him to the point that marks were evident even two hours after they were removed. Also she placed him a detention facility for a week and now has him on tether for a violation of probation. When I asked for a court appointed attorney she told me she wouldnt appoint one until we went to court. He has not been to court for the arrest or the probation violation. Does any of this sound right to anyone or has she violated my rights and my sons rights? I have asked numerous times about the court date and she keeps telling me she hasnt decided yet. How can he be in violation of probation if he hasnt been found guilty of the crime? Also is there a time limit on how soon a juvenile should be set in front of a judge?
Are you more worried about:
A) your son's rights; or
B) your son growing into responsible adulthood?

sis4u34

Arent they both and the same? I am trying to find out what his rights are and I feel his rights have been violated. Also, without finding any evidence to support the other boys statement, what grounds do they have? Evidently he is going to grow up, but should he be submitted to such actions without the right steps being taken? Not to mention you didnt answer any questions I am looking for answers for.

Silverplum

Arent they both and the same?
No.
sis4u34 said:
I am trying to find out what his rights are and I feel his rights have been violated.
What do your feelings have to do with the law?
sis4u34 said:
Also, without finding any evidence to support the other boys statement, what grounds do they have? Evidently he is going to grow up, but should he be submitted to such actions without the right steps being taken?
Huh. And to think, I still just don't care.
sis4u34 said:
Not to mention you didnt answer any questions I am looking for answers for.
As a volunteer, I did not choose to do so at that time. What I did choose was to ask you a basic q, to ascertain your POV. Now that I know, I choose to go to lunch.

You may want to take up knitting, or something to keep you occupied during the many long hours you spend waiting around courts and legal offices for your son. I have a strong suspicion this is the direction you and your son have chosen for your futures.

BL

Does any of this sound right to anyone or has she violated my rights and my sons rights?
No violation of you or your son's rights .

I have asked numerous times about the court date and she keeps telling me she hasnt decided yet.
The probation officer doesn't set a court date , the court does . Perhaps the PO is still contemplating weather or not to bring up probation violation charges , or not .

How can he be in violation of probation if he hasnt been found guilty of the crime?
Very easily , when a probationer is placed on probation , there are specific rules they must follow . If they do not they could be violated .

Also is there a time limit on how soon a juvenile should be set in front of a judge?
If the PO is going to bring violation charges , it shouldn't be too long .

Perhaps the PO is waiting to see if your child screws up again first .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">