• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1stlady

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have a question for the Legal folks in the building,

A girlfriend of mine who has a son the same age as mine (15), and they both hang out together, they are good boys for the most part,and they play football together,and do pretty well in school. Well her son went over to Sports Authority with some other boys from the football team (that he normally does not hang with), and he ended up trying to steal some items, mind you her son had money on him b/c he was working for the summer, So he had about $100 in cash on him at the time, Well he was the only one who got caught, and the items were:

2 pairs of football gloves
a visor (for his helmet)
and 2 towels (I guess the ones the players have tucked in the pants)

Also this child is not spoilded But, he doesn't want for NOTHING he can basically get anything he asks for(within reason) from his mom,dad(he might be a lil tough on him but he will still buy it), Grandmother, Grandfather. And he seemed to be really responsible with his money he had from his summer job (that he decided to get on his own), But she is sooo upset right now, she doesn't know what to do.

So I think the total was about $100 or $150
So now she has to pay a fine of $150 to the town that the shoplifting took place (WHICH SHE TOOK OUT OF THE REST OF HIS MONEY HE SAVED FROM WORKING OVER THE SUMMER)

NOW the lawyer who represents Sports Authority is now asking for $150 payment in 20 days and if not paid they can sue her for up to $500.

So now she's asking me (b/c I work for the courts), why are do they want this money (she just got letter today when she came home from work/running errands)..I work in the civil division ofthe courts, BUT I have never heard about this kind of case...So if anyone knows about something like this I would appreciate the knowledge.

I know that certain retailers have a limit on the amout a shoplifter can steal b/4 they decide to prosecute them. But I am wondering if $150 is their "limit"

The Occultist

The price of $150 is VERY VERY reasonable. They could easily ask for more as part of their civil demand (which they are legally entitled to). The civil demands typically cover the costs to control theft such as this young man committed. Yes, the payment needs to happen, and yes, it is by FAR smaller than what they are legally allowed to ask for. Lord knows a department store wouldn't settle for a mere $150.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">