• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Rental reported on SCH C

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Plazatax

What is the name of your state? California

I have a rental that I originally purchased to “flip” I could not sell it and while is sitting on the market I am leasing it. I would like to report the expenses I have (mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc…) on a schedule C. My problem is that when it sells I do not want to pay SE tax on the gain. Can I report the property as inventory at this time and latter on “withdraw” the property from inventory and convert it to personal or rental? And if so how do I document?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California

I have a rental that I originally purchased to “flip” I could not sell it and while is sitting on the market I am leasing it. I would like to report the expenses I have (mortgage, taxes, maintenance, etc…) on a schedule C. My problem is that when it sells I do not want to pay SE tax on the gain. Can I report the property as inventory at this time and latter on “withdraw” the property from inventory and convert it to personal or rental? And if so how do I document?
You can get the same result by reporting it on schedule E, and that would not cause you to have SE tax.

FlyingRon

And the schedule E is where the IRS expects you to put it. Lots of info at the IRS site. Start here:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc414.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">