• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car got broke in and someone stole the GPS on hotel property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momo8336

What is the name of your state? Miami, Flordia

I was staying at a hotel in Miami Florida, and did valet parking for my rental car. Someone broke the car window and stole the rented GPS. Is the hotel responsible for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

ecmst12

Nope. The person who broke in is responsible, no one else. If you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance, that will cover the break in and *possibly* the GPS, if it's permanently installed or factory installed. If it's a portable GPS, that would fall under your homeowners or renters insurance.

JustAPal00

Your insurance will need to cover it. It happened to me too! However even though mine was an aftermarket dash mount GPS, the fact that it was powered by the cars battery meant that the car insurance covered it. The reason that was nice was I was already going to have to pay the deductible for the repairs to the damage from the break in.

ecmst12

However even though mine was an aftermarket dash mount GPS, the fact that it was powered by the cars battery meant that the car insurance covered it.
That's really going to depend on how the policy is written (if OP even has Comp coverage), there's no universal rule. The policies I work on specifically state "permanently installed".

JustAPal00

That's really going to depend on how the policy is written (if OP even has Comp coverage), there's no universal rule. The policies I work on specifically state "permanently installed".
I understand, I was just stating how mine was resolved! I think my adjustor was really lenient, because it seemed like he cut me a few brakes. I had a lot of things stolen. Many couldn't be replaced and I lost a few thousand dollars. He covered all electronic devices that could be powered by the cars battery, including a power inverter(converts DC current to AC), GPS, radar detector, and cell phone chargers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">