• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Stop/Yield any difference?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Channelkat

What is the name of your state?
Virginia

Ok, for some reason, in my mind, I can accept the failure to yield ticket the officer gave me. I had intended to prepay today, but when I got on to prepay, the website said I failed to stop while entering a highway.

As I was attempting to make a left turn out of my apartment complex the construction barrels and heavy traffic somewhat limited my vision. The traffic was all stopped due to a red light on my right. Because all the traffic was stopped and the person in the right lane closest to me was waving me through I looked and then proceeded. Unfortunately a guy in the second lane came flying out of no ware and we hit pretty much head on.

My question is, other than my personal concerns about the words "Stop" or "Yield", is there any difference? Will the fine or the insurance points change if I was to argue at court about this little wording difference? Or should I just pay the $93.50 and accept it?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. If I am at fault, then I want to accept my responsibilities. I just want to make sure I am accepting no more than what is right.

Thank you in advance!

ecmst12

You failed to yield to oncoming traffic, resulting in a collision. The specific wording on the web site or ticket is not relevant. Even if you stopped, you didn't STAY stopped long enough for oncoming traffic to proceed and the way to be clear for you.

Channelkat

I understand I am legally at fault. I just think this sounds as if I just ran a stop sign onto a highway and crashed into someone. I think that is a little different than what actually happened. I wasn't acting recklessly as it sounds to me. It appeared clear so I went. If that means a different fine amount or more points on my insurance than failure to yield, which he wrote on my summons, I think I should go to court.

ecmst12

I understand I am legally at fault. I just think this sounds as if I just ran a stop sign onto a highway and crashed into someone.
Legally speaking, that's EXACTLY what happened. You didn't say you got cited for reckless driving, that's a much different, more serious offense. "Failure to yield" means you went before it was safe to do so, whether you stopped first or not. "Failure to stop" is not an actual offense. "Failure to obey stop sign" may be an offense and still applies here, but generally it's all the same. You can call the clerk of the court if you think there are 2 different possible charges but I doubt it.

If the officer thought you'd blown the stop sign without even looking, he might indeed have cited you for reckless/careless driving instead.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">