• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Levies on bank accts in NY State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lynnbb

What is the name of your state? NY

I am permanently disabled, and my only income is SSA disability. I received a tax assessment notice from NYS a few months ago. It instructed me to go to the NYS website to set up online payment plan, which I did. While I can only pay a small amount each month, I HAVE been paying, and NYS has accepted my payments.

HOWEVER, when I checked my bank account today, I discovered that a levy in the amt of $9500 had been placed on my account.

Is this legal, and can I do anything (QUICKLY)? I have no other income or assets (old car, rent apt, etc)

Thanks.

Lynn

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NY

I am permanently disabled, and my only income is SSA disability. I received a tax assessment notice from NYS a few months ago. It instructed me to go to the NYS website to set up online payment plan, which I did. While I can only pay a small amount each month, I HAVE been paying, and NYS has accepted my payments.

HOWEVER, when I checked my bank account today, I discovered that a levy in the amt of $9500 had been placed on my account.

Is this legal, and can I do anything (QUICKLY)? I have no other income or assets (old car, rent apt, etc)

Thanks.

Lynn
Yes. Your check/bank account can ONLY be garnished/levied for taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">