• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor In Consumption- Washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WSUcougs

I live and am going to school at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington. I am 20 years old and have had no prior arrests and have nothing but a couple minor driving-related blemishes on my file. Last Saturday I was intoxicated at a party, and I went around to the side of the apartment building and was talking to a friend on the phone when the multiple police officers approached me and asked me to stand up and put my hands behind my back, then they handcuffed me and had me sit down. They took my backpack from me and sifted through the contents. There was one empty beer can in the side pocket, everything else was school-related. All I had on me was my university identification card, which they took. They then took me to the police car, reading me my rights on the way. They took me down to the police station and had me give them all my information, at which point they put me in a holding cell. I spent nearly two hours in the holding cell before they informed me as to what I had to look forward to. Up to that point they'd only told me to sit and wait for the arresting officer to return. Upon his return, he opened the door and had me sit down across from him and sign something. I can't recall the specific nature of the document, but I DO recall the officer saying "By signing this, you are not admitting guilt, only agreeing to show up for your court date." So, I guess it was probably a document of that nature. At any rate, I am puzzled as to what measures I ought to be taking here. I have asked the advice of multiple people, and have received varying responses. I am inclined to believe that there isn't solid evidence of my intoxication, as they didn't breathalize me, but relied on my behavior to infer an altered state. However, I also realize that when it comes to my word versus that of the police officers involved, the judge will likely be inclined to side with the police. Does anyone have some suggestions as to what I should do? Basically, should I be trying to contest the charges, or should I bend over and let 'em give it to me? Any help would be MOST fortuitous. I'm freakin' out here. Thank you!

The Occultist

They don't need a breathalyser to show you were intoxicated. The sworn testimony from the arresting officer(s) about your behavior and possible stench of alcohol has been enough in quite a few court cases to convict.

If this is a first time offense for you, perhaps some sort of deferment will be available to you.

WSUcougs

They don't need a breathalyser to show you were intoxicated. The sworn testimony from the arresting officer(s) about your behavior and possible stench of alcohol has been enough in quite a few court cases to convict.

If this is a first time offense for you, perhaps some sort of deferment will be available to you.
Could you explain what you mean about a deferment? A friend of mine mentioned the same thing- something about deferred adjudication- but I'm still fuzzy on what it means. Will I still be subject to a fine? Or is that a given in this kind of situation? Also, my Washington State University has the unfortunate reputation of being a "drinking school"- that is, one with a pretty high rate of alcohol-related arrests- and the people I know who have been in my position have all said that their arresting officers never showed up to court. Does that mean they present no testimony, or is their "sworn testimony" within a written document that will inevitably be present in the courtroom? What are your thoughts on whether or not I should look to an attorney? Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

The Occultist

Deferment, at least in my experience, usually means that you will be given, essentially, a second chance, albeit probably with a slightly higher fine.

WSUcougs

Deferment, at least in my experience, usually means that you will be given, essentially, a second chance, albeit probably with a slightly higher fine.
Oh, man that would be incredible if I could keep my record intact. Last question: When you say I may get a "slightly higher fine" you mean in comparison to that which I would get if I were to plead no contest and accept the charge, or if I were to get the deferment denied by the judge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">