• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elder law & savings accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katie314

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My elder parents set up three separate savings accounts with their names and one sibling. Therefore each of the three siblings have an account set up with their parents. My parents now want to turn over the money in these accounts to the three adult children, How can they do this without paying gift taxes? Each account has $29,000? We are in Pennsylvania.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My elder parents set up three separate savings accounts with their names and one sibling. Therefore each of the three siblings have an account set up with their parents. My parents now want to turn over the money in these accounts to the three adult children, How can they do this without paying gift taxes? Each account has $29,000? We are in Pennsylvania.
Why doesn't each child simply remove the money from the bank account?

Katie314

Must the money remain in the accounts for a certain amount of time before the siblings remove the money from their individual accounts? Otherwise, it will apear the elder parents (ages 89 & 90) are attempting to hide their money and reprocussions could result upon the death of either parent. I do know they turned over their summer home to us but the wait time is 5 years on property. Does the savings accounts have a similar wait time?:

BlondiePB

Must the money remain in the accounts for a certain amount of time before the siblings remove the money from their individual accounts? Otherwise, it will apear the elder parents (ages 89 & 90) are attempting to hide their money and reprocussions could result upon the death of either parent. I
Depending when these accounts were opened and exactly how the accounts are titled, Medicaid fraud will be apparent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">