• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

baby in accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buggy

What is the name of your state? California

My 3 month old son was in an accident with myself last month. The accident was the other parties fault and they were cited on the spot. My wife and i took our little boy to the emergency room to be checked out. He was released a few hours later with no injuries. I wasn't hurt either, but it scared me to death. He was just so content after it happen no emotion. Now the insurance is offering us 500 dollars on top of the medical bill. Should we take it? or opt out for more?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

My 3 month old son was in an accident with myself last month. The accident was the other parties fault and they were cited on the spot. My wife and i took our little boy to the emergency room to be checked out. He was released a few hours later with no injuries. I wasn't hurt either, but it scared me to death. He was just so content after it happen no emotion. Now the insurance is offering us 500 dollars on top of the medical bill. Should we take it? or opt out for more?
So...
Everyone's fine. No short-term and no long-term injuries, right?
If that's the case, take the $500 and enjoy a day at Disneyland :)
Ultimately, it's your choice though.

ecmst12

I agree. The baby probably didn't even know anything scary happened, car seats protect them very well.

MandyD

Use part of that money to buy a new carseat as they're supposed to be replaced after each accident and have fun with the rest.

TinkerBelleLuvr

When I was in a similar situation with my daughter. I bought some saving bonds in her name and figured she could use them for college when the time came.

Shay-Pari'e

If you had insurance, it will cover the medical bills. Their or your insurace will pay for your car, and medical if they had insurance.

have fun at Disney.

ecmst12

Use part of that money to buy a new carseat as they're supposed to be replaced after each accident and have fun with the rest.
NO; the money for the new car seat should be part of the PROPERTY DAMAGE claim, not the injury claim. It should have been included with the assessment of the damage to your car. It should not come out of the money you are offered for "pain/suffering/inconvenience".

ecmst12

If you had insurance, it will cover the medical bills. Their or your insurace will pay for your car, and medical if they had insurance.
Also no. If your health insurance paid the medical bills, you will have to pay them back with the money you get from the auto insurance. If not, you can pay the bills out of this money.

wolfpup

back in december I was in a car accident with my toddler son. He wasn't hurt. I ended up getting a lawyer, and they offered me $450 bus the cover of medical bills (about the same costs as yours). I ended up taking it. My son didn't cry at all, and didn't even seem phased at all. Car seats do protect very well. I know sometimes it's very scary, and things don't seem fair, but I have realized that kids are very strong, and more so than we even realize. I didn't feel $450 was right at first, but lawyer had me realize that yes it's fair, considering everything, no visual signs or actual impact, besides the basics.

MikeKV

One suggestion: make sure that all of your bills (medical, auto, etc...) have been finalized before settling with the insurance co. Ins. co's will try to settle sooner than later so that they don't have to pay for any future (short or long term) bills.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">