• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit Settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zonk1972

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father passed away in 1989 from Asbestos Tumor. We had lawsuit against asbestos companies and my mother recieved settlement checks over the years. They were never scheduled. My mother had been in a nursing home the past 3 years and was there using her social security and medicaid. My sister had power of attorney. Anyhow, a letter came in a few weeks ago that a company wanted to settle with her and give her a check. Well, she passed away before she signed the papers to receive the check. So, can my sister sign the check? Does medicaid then receive the money? Do any subsequent checks go to medicaid or the state since she was in a home?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? NJ

My father passed away in 1989 from Asbestos Tumor. We had lawsuit against asbestos companies and my mother recieved settlement checks over the years. They were never scheduled. My mother had been in a nursing home the past 3 years and was there using her social security and medicaid. My sister had power of attorney. Anyhow, a letter came in a few weeks ago that a company wanted to settle with her and give her a check. Well, she passed away before she signed the papers to receive the check. So, can my sister sign the check? Does medicaid then receive the money? Do any subsequent checks go to medicaid or the state since she was in a home?
Only the Executor/Personal Representative of mom's estate can sign the check. Probate must be opened to do so. If the state requires reimbursement for mom's care, they must be repaid. Ask the state division that handles Medicaid about reimbursement or you may find that info on-line.

Dandy Don

The executor should also be consulting with a civil attorney to learn how to properly evaluate the offer to determine whether the offer is appropriate or whether she could negotiate for more money than is being offered. Don't just accept the first offer without educating yourself first.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">