• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandson in trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobbip

What is the name of your state? Florida

My step-daughter called and told me that her son who is 17, who has been in some minor trouble before, has been accused of a series of break-ins. When a police officer came to their house just to speak with him the officer took him away in his patrol vehicle without telling his mother. Later, they questioned him at the county police station without his mother being present and without a lawyer. Is this allowed in Florida? He is now being held in a juvenile facility. The sheriff's dept has told his mother that he confessed to 17 convenience store break-ins and turned in the names of other's involved. She knows he was not involved in any of this but that he did know the other's who were involved. My question is...Is it too late for her to request a court appointed lawyer for him since he has already given a statement? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Florida

My step-daughter called and told me that her son who is 17, who has been in some minor trouble before, has been accused of a series of break-ins. When a police officer came to their house just to speak with him the officer took him away in his patrol vehicle without telling his mother. Later, they questioned him at the county police station without his mother being present and without a lawyer. Is this allowed in Florida? He is now being held in a juvenile facility. The sheriff's dept has told his mother that he confessed to 17 convenience store break-ins and turned in the names of other's involved. She knows he was not involved in any of this but that he did know the other's who were involved. My question is...Is it too late for her to request a court appointed lawyer for him since he has already given a statement? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
If he knew that other people committed these crimes and did not turn them in then guess what? HE broke the law. And he is considered to have been involved.

The Occultist

How, exactly, does Mommy know that her dear son was not involved in the break-ins? Most mothers have a hard time believing their innocent children are capable of such acts, so they will typically refuse to believe that it happened. Doesn't mean it didn't happen. If she can offer up proof that he was somewhere else while these crimes took place, then by all means she should show it to the court and he won't have to worry about that. Of course, he'll still have to deal with the situation that Ohiogal there brought up...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">